Daragh O Brien is a leading expert on Data Privacy, Data Governance, and Information Quality Management. He has written two books on Data Governance Strategy (for Ark Group) and has contributed chapters on Data Privacy and Agile Data Governance for Regulatory Compliance to a number of others.
He is the Managing Director of Castlebridge Associates, a leading boutique Data Governance and Data Privacy consulting company that works with organisations of a range of sizes to help them understand how data-driven compliance is just another quality characteristic of information and how the reactive strategies of the last 50 years are no longer fit for purpose.
Daragh is a Fellow of the Irish Computer Society, a member of the IAPP, a DAMA-International Advisor, and has provided advisory support on a range of government policy issues relating to Data Governance and Data Protection in Ireland.
DQPVS 1: The Three Legged Stool – How Data Privacy Compliance is Supported by Data Governance and Data Quality Practices
Data Privacy is a growing area of importance. Apart from increasing international regulation (101 laws and counting), increased penalties (EU proposing 5% of turnover), and increased media coverage, customers are increasingly concerned about privacy as a quality characteristic of data-driven businesses. Add to this the growth of “Internet of Things”, Big Data, and the ubiquity of Cloud computing, and there is a complex juggling act to perform.
This session will look at the role of Data Governance principles and Data Quality practices in helping organisations of all sizes addressing their obligations under Data Protection principles and legislation.
DQPVS 2: Understanding Privacy Impact Assessments for Information Governance, Quality, Ethics and Success
This session is about Privacy Impact Assessments, Ethics and Governance and how we can use or adapt existing tools and frameworks to help us address the new challenges such as GDPR that are emerging.
Daragh explores how modern architectures, such as Big Data Analytics, are impacting the privacy of consumers and regulatory directives.
- The importance of planning
- What do we need to plan?
- The curse of the mad data scientist
- Examples of data quality trainwrecks
- Privacy by design - the architecture required
- Key functions of privacy engineering
- Creating a plan for Privacy by Design and Privacy Engineering
- Privacy Impact Assessments - What are they?
- Privacy Impact Assessments - Where in the PMBOK life cycle?
- The cost pyramid
- Why do a Privacy Impact Assessment?
- The decision thresholds of a Privacy Impact Assessment
- 6 step approach to Privacy Impact Assessments
- Data Commissioner viewpoint of Privacy Impact Assessments
- FMEA - Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Privacy Impact Assessments - The Ethical Dimension