Data quality framework implementation is one of the very first tasks most organisations undertake when piecing together their data quality strategy. In decades past this could be a real challenge given the dearth of expert materials available.
Step forward to today and we have the opposite problem, there is so much choice of available frameworks and methodologies that the average corporation can literally be swamped with options.
One new data quality framework that may help companies get started comes from recent release of a framework stemming from collaboration between the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM) and the Institute for Information Management of the University of St. Gallen (IWI-HSG).
EFQM is a global non-for-profit membership foundation based in Brussels, Belgium. They have more than 500 members covering over 55 countries and 50 industries. Their aim is to provide a unique platform for organisations who wish to learn from each other and improve performance. EFQM is the custodian of the “EFQM Excellence Model”, a business model which they claim helps over 30,000 organisations around the globe to strive for Sustainable Excellence.
The Competence Center Corporate Data Quality (CC CDQ) is a collaborative research program comprising renowned enterprises from various industries, plus the Institute for Information Management of the University of St. Gallen (IWI-HSG) as the coordinator and scientific director of the program.
By order of the consortium, IWI-HSG develops best practices and tools in the domain of CDQM. Results are based on scientific state-of-the-art knowledge and are discussed, improved and tested in cooperation with large companies acting on a global level.
The core objective and guiding principle of the program is the transfer of theoretical preliminary work and scientific research results into everyday organizational and business practices of enterprises.
Building on the Foundation of a Data Quality Framework
Clearly, right from the outset the framework has been built on solid academic foundations and it’s encouraging to see that so much focus on industry application has been applied.
Some of the key elements of the framework include:
- Enablers: Breaks these down into Strategy, Controlling, Organization & People, Processes & Methods, Data Architecture, Applications
- Results: Customer Results, People Results, Society Results, Key Results
- Guidance for implementing the framework
- Additional resources
- Applying the EFQM Excellence Model to the CDQM domain
The creators of the data quality framework believe it can be used in several ways:
- as a tool to benchmark with other organizations
- as a guide to identify areas for improvement
- as a common vocabulary and way of thinking
- as a framework around which CDQM capabilities can be developed
If you’re looking to create a new data quality framework or simply wish to plug the gaps in your existing approach, this is certainly well worth reviewing.
Useful Data Quality Framework Resources
- http://youtu.be/U4K2_QEMP2s (video of EQFM Excellence Framework)
- European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM)
- Information Management of the University of St. Gallen (IWI-HSG).
- Competence Center Corporate Data Quality (CC CDQ)
- Framework for Corporate Data Quality Management Created by EFQM and University of St. Gallen (PDF format)
- Benchmarking for Corporate Data Quality Management (CDQM)